srotamsi - helping channels flow

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Arrival

Barakhamba Road,
Connaught Place, New Delhi



Delhi receives me gracefully.  I arrive with no complications on Air India, my airline of choice. A non-stop 15-hour flight of 3 films, some audiobooks, some work on the computer, 3 meals, some dozing, and I am in India.  A friend close to the diplomatic corps has carried a piece of luggage for me and meets me at baggage claim.  We leave the airport, he in his VIP car, and me in the Fulbright van.  The Fulbright guesthouse has flooded in the rains, so I will be staying at a hotel.



A day later, I am at the Fulbright campus, tucked away neatly on a street facing one of the spokes of Connaught Place. The orientation is a packet, some conversation, some fact-checking about me. Then I run off to the US Embassy for a tour, and a presentation on how to stay safe in India.  I comment that his hints are true for any city. The fear factor and paranoia of the rich is apparent in his talk.



The thesis of the presentation is that Americans are thought to have more, so people will try to steal from them/us.  I wonder if the police officer knows that a 1000 sq. ft. apartment in Delhi starts at INR20,000,000, which is about $333,000. I wonder if he knows that there are more millionaires in Bombay than in any American city.  Anyway, it is true:  Americans are perceived as rich to Indians.  Some of this is because we don’t hide our wealth. As a society, we leave our valuables on display in our homes, and we wear our nice jewelry on the streets to show our status, and we travel with lots of stuff.  This makes us look wealthy. 



What makes us wealthy, really, is that we have the freedom to think and to explore. We can study what we want. We can travel. We can talk with people of other creeds easily. We can even sleep with them, marry them. We can do business as we please, stealing from the world without much consequence.  As Americans, we are assured that we can make mistakes on our bodies and have society pick up after us, in the form of medical insurance. We can make mistakes and explore our own dim-wittedness with little consequence.  But what really makes us wealthy is that we have the freedom to make our dreams come true, once we find them. 



So, I sit and listen to the officer quietly as he drones on about the dangers of Indians and hands me an emergency card to flash in case of danger. At the end, I politely exit the locked room and follow him out.  He cares for my safety: that is the main message I choose to take.



As I leave the grounds, I notice that the US Embassy has encroached on a huge amount of land in the prime real estate of Delhi. I wonder what their rent is for these hectares, all behind tall walls.  There is a huge fountain, fancy grounds, lots of walkways and buildings. 



Next stop: a meeting with the Executive Director of the India Fulbright program. A fellow grad of UPenn, I meet Adam an hour late due to traffic and Embassy timings. He lived in India during college and learned tabla in Varanasi. He is very good friends with one of my good friends. He is deeply devoted to higher education and cultural exchange.  He loves Delhi life.  We chat and I share with him about Ayurveda and my goals for the upcoming year.   He likes to know each of the awardees. I am sure I will see him again. With that, the India briefing is done and I go back to my room. 



Professor Jha calls to welcome me to India. He is the Dean of the Faculty of Ayurveda at BHU. He brings greetings from another Dean at a school in Delhi and a Principal from Bangalore, both good friends of mine. Jha has seen the articles which have suddenly appeared in all the newspapers on Sunday and Monday about my arrival at BHU. His warmth and enthusiasm light up my jet-lagged heart.