srotamsi - helping channels flow

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Diplomatic Pouch


Shivganga Express
Train from Delhi to Varanasi



The lull of the train rocked me through a strong eight hours of sleep. I had awakened at my usual 4:30, but the cabin was full of snoring neighbors which lulled me back to silence and a three extra hour doze.  Aakri, the end of the month of Sravan, is celebrated in Benaras today with pujas and rituals of color. As I make my way back to Lanka, I smile. My trip to Delhi was eventful and productive, but I am excited to be home.  My workout after a long, lazy night on the train is to lug 2 suitcases and 4 boxes of books that arrived by diplomatic pouch to the Delhi Fulbright office to my rooftop apartment.  Hansraj arrives and smiles and easily lifts the last 40lb box up to the room, as I stand with sweat on my brow, determined that my biceps and core muscles should look more like his. 



My books complete the apartment and make it mine. There is a sense of guidance and mentorship I feel with the books here.  My elders are with me.