srotamsi - helping channels flow

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Redefining Tradition


June 9, 2013.

Twenty years later.

On June 9, 1993, I delivered a speech that changed my life. In it, the activist and precocious physician-to-be  spouted philosophy about Redefining Tradition – the title of the Oration ­– and gave us an earful on my views on tradition and its purposes and propagations.

The faces of the men sitting behind me are a symbol of what I would go through for the twenty years that followed….!
 

That speech was one of my greatest achievements at Harvard, because I had the courage to do something I was warned not to do: Dean Cassandra Simmons (a black female) warned me not to apply for the competition because ‘they only pick white boys.’  I was the first Indian, and woman, to have that podium, to write my name in the Harvard Big-Leather-Book-of-People-That-Give-Commencement-Speeches-at-Harvard. 

That fall, I applied for a Fulbright and was rejected because Harvard forgot to mail my transcript to them and because I was less meticulous and less meticulously-intuitive than I am now.  Here I am twenty years later, on the precipice of another thing I was warned not to do:  go beyond conventional medicine, since I was trained in conventional medicine. All the laws are against my work both here and in India, since Indian conventional doctors cannot teach or practice Ayurveda … but laws are meant to be … evolved.