srotamsi - helping channels flow

Sunday, June 02, 2013

the new F* word.

7/24/12.
It was a hot, empty day in late July. My email had a reminder from Fulbright: since I had been on their website in February 2012, if I wanted to complete an application, I had to do it by August 1.  

In fact, instead of being empty, I had planned to fly to India with a group of my Ayurveda students in mid-July. But the unpredictable had happened. On July 13, all semblance of peace had disappeared as one student after another reported death and destruction in their lives, backing out from the journey, and leaving me with a non-refundable ticket and a bunch of train, plane, hotel, and car bookings….  I had decided to cancel the trip and eat JetAirway’s cancellation fee of $995, a fee that was only possible because AirIndia was on strike, leaving other airlines to price-gouge freely.  My mother had experienced her own destruction, walking into her home and finding that the guy living above had an exploded water pipe that made her ceiling fall into her bathroom tub and floor.  With the week suddenly free of flights, I spent the time in Princeton, overseeing renovations, and spontaneously upgrading her bathroom significantly, since the guy upstairs had his insurance pay for it. 

The email reminder came at a time when renovation of life was in the air.  As we stripped away the protective plastic sheets in her apartment and the new bathroom emerged, I decided to renovate my life too. 

For many years, I had been yearning to study abroad.  Shortly after residency, I had received an award from the Clinton-supported America India Foundation-AIF, but had declined, as my student loans needed to be repaid.  With the $401,000 paid off now, I was itching to do some much-awaited research in India.  My hospital was in trouble, downsizing from budget cuts and corruption.  I had left in 2011.

Two decades before, in 1993, I had applied for a Fulbright fellowship and was devastated when they informed me that Harvard had not yet sent my MPH transcripts, so my file was disqualified. Harvard’s holy Office of the Registrar was filled with people that …..well, did not attend Harvard….!  They had “forgotten” my transcript in a To Do pile that was Not Done.   So my file was ignored, my life path disrupted, my whole world interrupted by their neglect.

Lesson of Life Learned: smile at others, but always check their work when you are the one that will benefit from their labor.  

After a strong meditation, and several deep dharana sessions as I had grouted tile in my mother’s new bathroom, I dreamed up a project I loved, that would benefit the people who assisted me in the field, and that would help the Americans that paid for my grant.  In a week, I had an essay. Then three letter of recommendations promised, then reminded, then chased, then begged, then done by three benevolent angels of change who believe in the work of explaining Ayurveda in medical language. An essay, a language competency verification letter, a slew of demographic questions, a summary of the field, with references. Then I sat on July 31, reviewing and satisfied before hitting the SEND button. 

The Fulbright Scholar grant is a long application, and my sincerity in finishing all the research and writing and compiling was an exercise in self-confidence. The biggest reward was the realization that I still have the focus to complete long applications. I also got a lot of credential papers organized along the way. I threw out a lot of old papers while hunting for things they requested, like transcripts and technical articles. Whether or not I received fruits from my labor, I knew that my idea to conduct interdisciplinary research on Ojas in Ayurvedic pockets in India would be a great clinical tool. If I did not get funded, I still wanted to go to India and try to finish the research with the elders over several years.

Anyway, I argued, it was a good way to spend the empty last days of July.

In the late summer, my diksha guru told me NOT to mention the application to anyone, not to even utter the F-------- word. Not even to my mother. Food cooks better when the lid is on the pan; things can simmer quietly without outside interference. I had to keep the lid on!

When my referees asked for status updates, I referred to the application as ‘the F* word,’ determined to value the magic of cooking, and the command of my guru. Through silence over the 6+ months, until the F* Board agreed the project was worth funding, I learned about the space, the abyss, between the words, where personal hopes and determination mix with surrender and resignation, where decision occurs.

The biggest lesson to learn from ‘the F* word’ is that the true victory is to survive the rigor of the application process. It will remain as a very personal growing experience that belongs to noone else.